VMO Cardiologist – Wollongong, NSW
Position Title: Visiting Medical officer – Cardiologist with interest in Electrophysiology or Heart Failure
Employment Type: Temporary appointment up to 5 years, sessional
VMO Hours: Up to 800 hours per annum, in addition to hours arising from participation in a rotating On-Call roster.
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD) is looking for a Cardiologist to join the team of multi-disciplinary staff. The primary responsibility for the position is the provision of cardiac services (including pacing) at Wollongong and Shellharbour Hospitals and may be varied as agreed with the Director of Medical Services and as approved via Medical and Dental Appointments Advisory Committee (MDAAC) to other facilities in ISLHD.
- Provision of cardiac services, including pacing services, at Wollongong Hospital, contribution to cardiac services and participation in the on-call general cardiology roster in accordance with clinical privileges (including call backs for pacing wires, pericardiocentesis, urgent echocardiography).
- Undertake at least a weekly pacemaker implant list at Wollongong Hospital.
- Participate in weekly pacing, defibrillator, and heart failure clinics.
- Provide an accountable and high standard service consistent with the defined scope of clinical practice for ISLHD and all NSW Health Policies and as required by other senior medical staff and the facility.
- Be dedicated to a teamwork philosophy and be able to demonstrate ability to work as a team member within the Department and the broader multidisciplinary team.
- Ensure detailed patient treatment plans are in place to support the timely management of patients and effective clinical handover processes in accordance with facility and ISLHD guidelines.
- Ensure a high standard of clinical record documentation is maintained, including the completion of all clinical records (including medication charts and other orders) to reflect clinical decisions and optimise data collection. Adapt clinical practice in accordance with contemporary evidence based best practice and any clinical protocols as approved by ISLHD from time to time.
Wollongong Hospital is a busy tertiary referral centre for the Illawarra and Shoalhaven Local Health District (serving a population of approx. 450,000). There are 4 EDs and 1 acute care centre in the district.
Wollongong Hospital has a 6-bedded Coronary Care Unit and a step-down unit. The Hospital is accredited for basic physician and advanced cardiology training (with 2 Advanced Trainees and 2 Basic Physician Trainees). It has 2 cath labs and currently, only pacemakers and loop recorders are implanted with complex devices and electrophysiology planned for the future.
Basic Electrophysiology, AICD insertion, and left atrial appendage closure are currently being performed at Wollongong Private Hospital and accreditation there can be facilitated for the successful applicant.
For role related queries or questions contact Dr Astin Lee on email@example.com. Applications close 13 January 2020.
Enquiries about this position from recruitment agencies will not be accepted. Candidates interested in this position must make their own enquiries and submit their own application.